Thursday 25 April 2013

A terrible loss

The dry season had come and gone. The snails survived. The ants and earthworms didn't do much harm to the snails but some thing worse than all these, attacked the snails. The snails laid eggs, I had thousands of snail eggs all over the snail house. The eggs hatched and their babies were everywhere. It looked like I  would have millions of snails very soon but then the real enemies of the snail attacked.

Very tiny insects were every where in the snail pen. These insects where so very tiny that you really have to look closely to see them. Initially I thought they were normal but when I noticed that the newly hatched snails could barely survive, then I knew that the situation was critical. I partitioned the snail house but it didn't work. They were just every where. All the snails whether big or small  had this tiny monsters all over them.  I wouldn't save them, the babies were the most hit. The babies died in thousands just as they hatched. Any baby shell you picked up was empty eaten up by the tiny monsters. The monsters occupied every empty shell. I felt sad and discouraged.  I did everything within my power to save them but couldn't.

These tiny insects I noticed were easily blown away by air and they were so many of them in the soil on which the snails live. So I removed and washed the big snails put them into another snail pen. The soil with the snail eggs in it and the newly hatched snails I threw into the bush. I left the snail house in the sun for about 3 days then treated it with insecticide.

So I lost all the eggs and the babies. If  they survive in the bush then I would probably have them back


8 comments:

  1. my condolences, you did the best thing in treating the soil after these attacks. I wish you all the best of luck next time.
    http://mdnuhu.getafricaonline.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nuhu. I still have some snails. I have now discovered the source of the tiny insects. I am managing the snails better now. Thank you

      Delete
  2. Hello Caroline, I just stumbled across your blog and I'm curious to know where those tiny insects came from. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tiny insects came from their immediate environment. So I got rid of those things and they are safe now

      Delete
    2. Hello Caroline
      I'm impressed with your resilience! my name is Simbo Davidson and I would love to start a snail farm I feel I can learn a lot from you

      Delete
    3. Hi Simbo, snail farming is very interesting. I don't do snail farming anymore because the environment was not just right for them, but I feel so very happy looking at their pictures and reading my own blog. It gives my so much joy.

      Delete
  3. What is the source of those tinies?

    ReplyDelete